Central Engineering provides expert technical, engineering, architectural and construction services for the Department of Adult Correction to improve and maintain the physical plant and to protect the citizens, employees, offenders and the environment of the state of North Carolina, while training offenders to aid in their education/rehabilitation and avoiding recidivism.
In providing quality products and services, Central Engineering's activities ensure compliance with all applicable codes, regulations and legislative mandates while creating the opportunity for offender rehabilitation through rigorous job training.
Goals and Performance Objectives
The primary goal of Central Engineering is to provide a quality product that meets or exceeds recognized standards while providing a value to the customer. Quality products will be achieved through continuous adherence to the objectives and performance criteria for customer service, productivity, employee safety, employee training and standards development. All employees take professional pride and accountability for products produced.
- Customer Service: Central Engineering provides responsive, courteous and enthusiastic solutions to customer requests, projects and problems. It strives to build a professional reputation based on confidence, dependability and efficiency.
- Productivity: Central Engineering's employees strive to achieve a level of efficiency, accuracy and quality of services that promotes customer satisfaction and outstanding employee performance.
- Employee Safety: Central Engineering adopts the “Safety First” principle and strives to ensure that the work environment is free of recognized hazards likely to cause injury or death. Every employee understands and complies with current safety regulations and uses common sense, thus reducing the threat of danger, risk or personal harm in the performance of duties.
- Employee Training: Central Engineering's employee training objective provides all with the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to keep pace with rapidly changing technology and enhances their ability to grow beyond their current position. Well trained/skilled employees are better equipped to provide quality products and services, as well as the expertise to implement progressive techniques and innovative ideas for improvement.
- Standards Development: Central Engineering is committed to continuous improvement while developing and maintaining standard policies and procedures so that employees have a clear understanding of the guidelines for completing tasks and adhering to administrative guidelines. Policies and procedure manuals are available to employees for reference. Standards are fairly and equitably enforced on a continuous basis.
Effort to Improve Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) Participation in Contracts
The NC Department of Adult Correction Central Engineering section streamlined design, bidding, and contracting of public work into one unified approach that has:
- Enhanced equitable outcomes;
- Improved Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) community awareness of bid opportunities;
- Simplified staff burden; and
- Reduced procedures and ensured regulatory, statutory and departmental policy compliance.