As part of its strategic plan, the Department of Adult Correction is pursuing American Correctional Association accreditation for all parts of the agency.
ACA accreditation is the gold standard in the corrections profession. The ACA standards are the national benchmark for the effective operation of correctional systems throughout the United States. The performance-based standards evaluate fundamental correctional practices that ensure staff and offender safety and security; enhance staff morale; improve record maintenance and data management capabilities; and improve the function of the facility.
As part of the accreditation process, ACA auditors conduct visual inspections, review policies and procedures and probe the work being done to ensure best practices are met.
The following Department of Adult Correction locations have earned full ACA accreditation.
- Craggy Correctional Center
- Carteret Correctional Center
- Catawba Correctional Center
- Columbus Correctional Institution
- Forsyth Correctional Center
- Lincoln Correctional Center
- Orange Correctional Center
- Sanford Correctional Center
- Tyrrell Prison Work Farm
- Western Correctional Center for Women
- Wilkes Correctional Center
- Division of Prisons - Central Office
The following Correction Enterprises Facilities have earned full ACA accreditation.
- Correction Enterprises Central Office
- Sign Reclaiming Plant - Moore County
- Janitorial Products Plant - Warren County
The following facilities have successfully completed ACA audits with outstanding scores and are expected to receive accreditation upon upcoming votes of the ACA accreditation board.
- Department of Adult Correction - Central Offices
- Division of Community Supervision
- Caldwell Correctional Center
- Craven Correctional Institution
- Dan River Prison Work Farm
- Greene Correctional Institution
- Hyde Correctional Institution
- Lumberton Correctional Institution
- Nash Correctional Institution
- Rutherford Correctional Center
- Sampson Correctional Institution