Press Releases

RALEIGH−The ReBuild NC Buyout Program information meeting planned for tonight in Tarboro has been rescheduled for 6 p.m. Feb. 27 due to severe weather that is expected in the area later today. The Feb. 27 meeting will be held at Edgecombe Community College, McIntyre Auditorium, 2009 West Wilson Street, Tarboro. Information on the new meeting date and Buyout Program is available on the ReBuild NC website at: https://www.rebuild.nc.gov/buyout. Property owners with additional questions can also call 2-1-1 for more information. 
As this year’s first blast of winter weather moves in to North Carolina, Gov. Roy Cooper is urging everyone to be prepared. “The state is getting ready, and everyone else should too,” said Gov. Cooper. “Don’t let the temperature right now fool you, because it’s going to get colder and this winter storm will affect most parts of North Carolina. Please pay close attention to your local forecast and be prepared.”
Offender William J. Warren (#0941504) died in an apparent suicide on Feb. 18, 2020 at Pasquotank Correctional Institution in Elizabeth City. Warren, 31, was found unresponsive in his cell at 11:20 p.m. by staff who worked to resuscitate him. EMS and local law enforcement arrived at 11:37 p.m. and took over CPR efforts from the custody staff. Warren was pronounced dead by EMS at 11:44 p.m.
As the current forecast shows the potential for snow to impact much of North Carolina, Gov. Roy Cooper is encouraging the public to prepare. Winter weather will start affecting the state as early as this evening in the mountains and Thursday afternoon into Friday morning outside of the mountains. “Predictions are changing quickly, so I urge everyone to be prepared and continue to monitor their local forecast. Now is the time to prepare while the roads are drivable. If snow falls, roads and bridges can quickly become dangerous, so be careful,” said Gov. Cooper.
El Gobernador Roy Cooper está animando al público a que se prepare ya que el pronóstico actual muestra la posibilidad que la nieve afecte gran parte de Carolina del Norte.  El clima invernal comenzará a afectar al estado a partir de esta tarde en las montañas y el jueves por la tarde hasta el viernes por la mañana fuera del área de las montañas.
The Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice has named Eddie Berry as the new director of the Burke Confinement in Response to Violation Center (CRV) in Morganton. He had been the assistant director at the facility since 2014.
The Division of Prisons has successfully completed the return of around 750 offenders to Neuse Correctional Institution who were evacuated last week due to area flooding from the Neuse River in Goldsboro. While the facility was not in danger of flooding, impassable roads could have hindered emergency response, if necessary. As a result, the prison was evacuated as a precaution.
The Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice has named Harold Reep as the new warden of the Catawba Correctional Center in Newton. Reep, 52, had been the warden at the Rutherford Correctional Center in Spindale since 2018. “Warden Reep is an outstanding veteran leader with a wealth of correctional knowledge and exceptional organizational skills,” said Todd Ishee, Commissioner of Prisons. “He knows the business back and forth.”
The Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice has named Ralph Prince as the new warden of the Wilkes Correctional Center in North Wilkesboro. Prince, 48, had been the associate warden at the prison since 2018.
The State of North Carolina and FEMA have approved more than $7.8 million to reimburse a City of Fayetteville cemetery following Hurricane Florence-related damage.  The grant reimburses the city to stabilize a riverbank at Cross Creek Cemetery to reduce potential flood damage. It also covers relocating 250 final resting places.