Press Releases

Interstate 95 through North Carolina is now reopened to all traffic, Governor Roy Cooper announced Sunday night. Floodwaters that covered the interstate following Hurricane Florence receded quicker than expected, allowing the North Carolina Department of Transportation to complete the inspections and repairs needed to reopen the road.
Governor Roy Cooper’s message to anyone traveling in North Carolina remained consistent and straightforward Saturday morning—stay away from areas with flooded roads in southeastern North Carolina. The governor stressed avoiding areas east of Interstate 95 and south of U.S. 70. As of Saturday morning, there are about 550 areas on state-maintained roads and highways closed because of Hurricane Florence. Interstates 40 and 95 continue to be under water in several locations.
State Highway Patrol, emergency response and transportation officials are urging motorists not to travel in many areas in southeastern North Carolina because many roads remain impassable due to flooding and road conditions are continuing to change. Travel is not recommended in the following counties: Bladen, Brunswick, Columbus, western Craven (west of U.S. 17), Cumberland, Duplin, Harnett, Hoke, southern Johnston (south of U.S. 70), Jones, Lenoir, New Hanover, Pender, Robeson, Sampson, Scotland and southern Wayne (south of U.S. 70 Business).
Governor Roy Cooper today reminded North Carolinians to avoid flooded roads and be alert for rising rivers even as the sun begins to shine across the state. “Days after Florence first hit our state, we continue to feel the effects of this massive storm,” Gov. Cooper said. “Even though there is no substantial rain in the forecast and the sun may be shining across many parts of our state, rivers continue to rise and we will see more flooding." Florence has now claimed the lives of 26 people in North Carolina. The governor again urged people to:
Governor Roy Cooper continued to urge North Carolinians today to stay in safe shelter and remain alert to changing conditions due to remnants of Hurricane Florence including significant flooding. “For many parts of North Carolina, the danger is still immediate. Flood waters are rising as rivers crest and will for days,” Gov. Cooper said. “I urge if you, if you don’t have to drive, stay off the roads, particularly south of U.S. 64. And don’t drive around barricades on roads."
Death row inmate Rowland Hedgepeth (#0176701) died today at 1:05 p.m. of natural causes at the Central Prison Healthcare Complex. Hedgepeth, 67, was convicted in Halifax County and sentenced to death in November 1987 for the first-degree murder of Richard Casey. He was also convicted of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury on his estranged wife, Beverly.  
RALEIGH - The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has confirmed additional deaths related to Hurricane Florence.  The seven storm-related deaths confirmed to date include: A 41-year-old female and her seven-month-old son who died in Wilmington on Sept. 14 when a tree fell on their home A 68-year-old male in Lenoir County who died when he was electrocuted while plugging in a generator on Sept. 14 A 77-year-old male in Lenoir County who fell and died due to a cardiac event while outside checking on dogs during the storm on the night of Sept.
To provide more resources for Hurricane Florence response, state government agencies have dramatically reduced the personnel previously scheduled to support public safety, transportation and health-related matters at the World Equestrian Games taking place in western North Carolina. This international sporting event was anticipated to bring thousands of people to the state. The State Highway Patrol had already decreased its troop numbers deployed for the sporting event by more than half (60 percent) prior to the State of Emergency in expectation of Hurricane Florence.
With the latest forecast showing Florence likely to grow in strength and threaten the East Coast, Governor Roy Cooper today urged all North Carolina residents, businesses and visitors to prepare for the storm. The latest forecast from National Hurricane Center shows Florence becoming a major hurricane by early in the week and tracking toward the southeastern United States by later in the week.
While the track of Tropical Storm Florence remains uncertain, state and local emergency management officials are already taking steps to prepare for potential impacts to North Carolina. Governor Roy Cooper today encouraged North Carolinians to use the weekend to update their own emergency plans and supplies.